The Good Home Cookbook (Collectors Press, Fall 2006) is a landmark cookbook that compiles tried and true American favorite recipes. Key to the book's success is the more than 1,000 people currently participating in the first ever national public recipe testing campaign.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Chicken Bog--good warm winter food

This recipe is filling and kids will love it. Try different sausages, which is the primary flavoring ingredient. Keep red chili peppers on the table to spice it up individually. Enjoy...

Chicken Bog
Chicken Bog apparently gets its name because the "chicken is bogged in rice." It’s a traditional Southern dish to serve on the Fourth of July and to serve at barbecues and picnics. The dish may have its origins years ago at the tobacco barns or warehouses since it was served traditionally at barn suppers. There are many, many versions of the dish, but all have in common rice, chicken, smoked sausage, and plenty of black pepper. If serving as leftovers, add water or additional chicken stock as needed.

Serves 6 to 8

3 to 4-pound chicken, cut up, or 3 to 4 pounds chicken pieces
4 cups water
3 teaspoons salt
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch dice
2 cups long-grain white rice
3 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red peppers
1. Combine the chicken and water in a large saucepot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the chicken is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2. Remove the chicken from the broth. Skim off the excess fat (if desired). Remove and the skins and discard. Remove the chicken from the bones and chop. Discard the bones. Return the chicken to the broth.
3. Stir in the salt, onion, sausage, rice, thyme and black and red peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot.

8 Comments:

Blogger edwarner55780557 said...

I really enjoyed your blog. This is a cool Website Check it out now by Clicking Here . I know that you will find this WebSite Very Interesting Every one wants a Free LapTop Computer!

4:08 AM

 
Blogger blaze said...

I really enjoyed you cooking rice website. I also have a site about cooking rice Please take a look. I hope you will find it interesting

3:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about csus water ski
. You can check it out at csus water ski
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

7:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about cables water ski
. You can check it out at cables water ski
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

10:40 PM

 
Anonymous cooking course said...

I wish I could understand how doing a search for how to cook got me to Chicken Bog--good warm winter food. Not that I mind, you understand Richard Perry. It's just that I don't think it's exactly what I was looking for :0)

8:22 PM

 
Anonymous baking said...

Hi Richard Perry
Look, I hope you don't mind, but I found your blog using food as a search term. I'm trying to find original articles and recipes for my cooking websites.

I can and do use the article directories, but much of the stuff in them is hardly original and gets widely used. I'm hoping to persuade people like you, who have an interest in cooking, to contribute as well. I use a wide variety of articles and styles - just so long as it's food orientated - and I think the kind of things you write about in Chicken Bog--good warm winter food would be very popular :0)

The quid pro quo is a link back to your blog - or website if you have one. If this doesn't interest you, please forgive the intrusion. If it does, I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes
Michael Sheridan

5:57 AM

 
Anonymous kids recipes said...

Hi Richard Perry
I never realised that so many different types of blog would show up if I did a search on something like baking. I'm still not sure how well Chicken Bog--good warm winter food fits into that category, but I've enjoyed visiting :0) Adios Amigo.

5:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was surfing the net loking for some european skiing resorts and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.

2:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home