The Good Home Cookbook (Collectors Press, Fall 2006) is a landmark cookbook that compiles tried and true American favorite recipes. Key to the book's success is the more than 1,000 people currently participating in the first ever national public recipe testing campaign.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Don't Freeze Real Cream Cheese

There was a sale on cream cheese so I bought a few packs. Thought I'd be smart and freeze them for use in future recipe testing. Then I thawed one and the cheese separated and my kids wouldn't touch it! It looked like fine curd cottage cheese--not appealing at all. The fat-free cream cheese doesn't have that problem when freezing. Must be the zero fat content and the preservatives. Anyway, cream cheese should stay in the refrigerator unopened in those foil packs for several weeks--if not months! So, I recommend that you don't freeze real cream cheese.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most, actually all, cheeses should only be purchased in quantities that can be consumed within a week. The only time it can safely be frozen is if its an ingredient mixed into a casserole, like lasagne, enchiladas, etc.

4:56 PM

 
Blogger Richard Perry said...

Thank you for your feedback. Please see my blog for my response.

8:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home