The Good Home Cookbook (Collectors Press, Fall 2006) is a landmark cookbook that compiles tried and true American favorite recipes. Key to the book's success is the more than 1,000 people currently participating in the first ever national public recipe testing campaign.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Creamed Spinach

This classic creamed spinach recipe was a great way to use up the remaining spinach from the huge bag purchased at Costco. It's a delightful recipe. Clean, simple and fresh. Make sure not to overcook the spinach or the nutritional value and bright green color will be lost.

Creamed Spinach
Serves 4 to 6
When Peter Luger opened a steak house in New York City in 1887, creamed spinach was on the menu. The success of the restaurant resulted in many copycat menus. It is hard to even imagine a steak house today without creamed spinach on the menu.

2 (10-ounce) packages fresh spinach, tough stems removed
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons, plus one teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

1. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the spinach, cover, and steam until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain into a colander, rinse with cold water, and press out as much water as possible. Transfer to a cutting board and chop. If the spinach seems watery, gather in handfuls and squeeze to remove excess water.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour to make a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook until hot and thickened. Stir in the cheese.
4. Stir in the spinach and cook until the spinach is hot, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Tip: If you would like to make this ahead, transfer the creamed spinach to a lightly buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with buttered bread crumbs. Refrigerate until 40 minutes before serving. Bake at 350° F for about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

13 Comments:

Blogger Nupur said...

This sounds wonderful! Its such a great tasting dish, thanks for the recipe.

10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe and loved it, it brought me and my husband back to the restaurant

5:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad, I admit.
I used Half and Half instead of milk.
Still very tasty

8:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site
with us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm
book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

Exceptional blog and outstanding design.

My web page 18 inch dishwasher

6:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.


My site :: patio umbrella fabrics

10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew
of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked
about in this article? I'd really like to be a part of community where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

My blog ... download imindmap

11:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you
amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog web
site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had
been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided
vivid clear idea

My page baby nursery decor

12:33 AM

 
Anonymous Sheeroh said...

i tried this recipe with margarine instead of butter and let me tell you...its was HEAVEN IN MY MOUTH!!!unbelievably good..:)

11:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely believe that which you stated.

Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider
worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Here is my blog; Glider Rocker

5:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to see each day a few blogs and sites to read content, however this
weblog presents quality based content.

Also visit my homepage - glider rocker recall

10:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say
that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

my site - unizard.cafe24.com

11:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning quest there. What happened after? Good luck!



Also visit my homepage - white board paint

3:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s difficult to find educated people in this particular topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks harga glutera

9:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home